Due to the Coronavirus (Covid-19) the Welfare Office will be processing applications slightly different. You may pick up an application outside of the City Hall building.  Park in the 15 minute parking area and look directly at the building.  Applications can be picked up day or night or you may download and print the application at the bottom of this page.

Please read the "Required Documentation" page prior to filling out the application.  Once you have completely filled out the application and obtain the required documents, call 527-1267 to schedule an appointment.

If you have questions about the application or the documents required please call (603) 527-1267 or email me at craymond@laconianh.gov.

Welfare Mission
Our mission is to provide interim assistance with basic needs for those who do not have the resources to meet these needs and encourage community involvement in addressing issues to help break the circle of poverty.

Welfare Funding

Local welfare offices are funded primarily by property taxes. Every city and town in New Hampshire has someone appointed or elected to administer local welfare. If you need assistance, you would apply in the city or town where you reside unless you find yourself in an emergency situation in another community. You would then contact the local welfare office in that community.

Emergency Assistance

We provide interim, emergency assistance with basic needs for those unable to provide for themselves. Basic needs include:
  • Shelter
  • Medications
  • Food
  • Rental Assistance
  • Utilities - electric, heat, etc.
Assistance is issued in the form of vouchers for these items paid directly to a vendor. We will also refer you to other programs that will help you to meet these basic needs.

Work Opportunities

Any recipient of general assistance who is able and not gainfully employed may be required to work for the City or an appropriate local human service agency at any any available bona fide job that is within his/her capacity (RSA 165:31) for the purpose of reimbursement of benefits received.

Department of Health & Human Services

We are sometimes confused with the New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services. We do not issue food stamps, Medicaid or cash assistance. The New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services administers these programs. They can be reached at 603-524-4485.