Amending Records

The City Clerk's Office has the resources available to assist you with the correction of an error or mistake on any event occurring in the City of Laconia. Depending on the type of correction needed, you will be required to show proof of the correct information in various forms. Samples of the changes we can make are listed.

Corrections to Birth Certificates Within 14 Days of Birth

If you have received your notification from LRGH stating all of the information on your child's birth record, please review this notice immediately. If you locate an error, please bring the notice into our office within 14 days of your child's birth. You will also need to bring a photo ID. We can make the correction easily and quickly.

Corrections to Records Up to 6 Months Following the Event

If you have located an error on a record, please contact our office to schedule an appointment for the change to be made. There will be a $10 charge for the change, as well as $15 for a new certificate reflecting the change. The process takes approximately 20 minutes.

Corrections to Records After 6 Month of the Event

If you have located an error on a record you will need to bring in 2 proofs of the correct information dating as close to the event as possible. Because each individual case is different, examples of proofs could be any legal document stating the information, such as a previously issued vital record, social security card, baptismal records, or school records. If you do not have these documents, please feel free to contact us and we will assist you. There will be a $10 charge for the change to the record.

The change cannot be done until the Division of Vital Records Administration has approved the change. This can take several weeks. After the change has been approved and completed, we will notify you. At that time you may purchase a copy of the record for $15.

Affidavit of Paternity

Please call our office to schedule an appointment. The mother and the father must come in with a photo ID. The child does not need to be present. There is a $10 charge for the Affidavit, and $15 if you would like a Certified Copy showing the change. The process takes approximately 20 minutes.

Legal Name Change

After you have received a Certificate of Legal Name Change from probate or family court, you need to bring the original certificate to our office. The birth record would be changed to reflect the original name as well as the changed name. The fee for the change is $10, and a new certified copy of the birth record reflecting the change will be $15.